r/reactivedogs • u/Mindless-Bluebird420 • Apr 25 '23
Advice Needed Hard choice, I’m dying and don’t know what to do for my dog
Edit: I want to thank everyone so much for their kindness and thoughtfulness. I’m sorry for not responding individually, but I have read everything and it was all tremendously helpful, regardless of one’s stance on BE. I probably should have included that my background is in animal welfare and I have had to decide to euthanize dogs before, but I have never had to make this decision for one of my own. He is my heart, and when his time comes he will be surrounded by love. I cannot control the circumstances of my own death but I can die knowing I have given this dog every chance possible. I also will not rehome him- I hold no illusions when it comes to how dangerous he is for strangers, especially in his home. We’re going to ride this out together and I can only hope he forgives me and that I get to see him again. Also, our other two dogs will be okay! They are relatively well-adjusted and well-trained, so I foresee them living hopefully long and happy lives.
Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated, and sorry in advance for rambling.
I have metastatic breast cancer and was given an estimate of “a few years” by my oncologist- stats say 3-5 if I’m lucky.
My best boy is insanely reactive. Fast run down: he has two official bite strikes, three undocumented bites, four failed adoptions, and the shelter where he lived on and off for three years was going to euthanize him so I took him home. He resource guards, hates all loud noises, dislikes most strangers, and has been politely asked to not return to the boarding facility we use for our other two dogs. He’s so stressed and fearful there that he makes the staff sad, and only a few employees can physically handle him.
I planned on waiting for him to die before living my own life (mainly travel). He’s seven now. However it looks like that’s not possible as he will outlive me.
Do I euthanize him? Or do I keep putting him through the stress of boarding (if I can find a new place) so that on my off weeks from chemo I can go about crossing items off my bucket list?
I just don’t know what to do. His quality of life is great, although his world is very small. Unfortunately my quality of life is hampered by having to keep his world small, if that makes sense.
I love this dog so much, and I feel so callous laying this out, but I can’t stop thinking about what I should do. I guess the least selfish thing would be for me to not travel and just stay home with him until I die, but I don’t have it in me. I also have some non-fun trips I have to make soon (funerals) so regardless my buddy is going to have to get boarded again.